Hens and Chickens

Hens and Chickens

Thursday, 29 January 2015

A New Start.

A lot has happened here since my last post in August.  Life has not been kind.
 
My father passed away after a lengthy illness.  His brother, my uncle, had died earlier in the year.  My mother's brother, another uncle, also died shortly before my father.  At the same time my husband's favourite uncle also passed away.

2014 is not a year I will look back fondly on, and as Xmas approached, I was so looking forward to seeing the back of 2014, and the start of a hopefully happier 2015. 

It was not to be.  Another Uncle passed away on Xmas day, which brought back all the pain of our previous losses.  Then, completely without warning, we woke on the last but one day of 2014, to find our beloved Xena dying of heart failure. 
 
Our beautiful Xena
She was only eight years old, the same age as Ozzy, and had shown no symptoms whatsoever of being unwell.  Thankfully she died quickly and peacefully, and is now back with us, on the dresser next to Ozzy, whom we lost the year before.
 
Xena's Casket

2015 is a new start in so many ways. Firstly, I finally finished all the x-stitching on my Blue Ribbon Sampler!  Wow, three years off and on so far to stitch this, but now I only have the filet panels to stitch, add my name and hey presto! Finito!

My Blue Ribbon Sampler so far

I have enjoyed stitching my BRS sampler, but the mistakes in the charts are many, and do not contribute to a happy stitching experience.  Nevertheless, I persevered and I am so happy I stuck with it.

I toyed with starting a Scarlet Letter sampler next, called Dorcas Haynes, and which is stitched in AVAS silks.  I chickened out.  I have never used silks before, so I felt I ought to practice a little.  I put some 32ct Linen on my Millenium frame, and started Moira Blackburn's Time and Season sampler.  So far I have found the silks a joy to work with, and have experienced no problems whatsoever.  This is my progress after a couple of days stitching:

Moira Blackburn's Time and Season Sampler

  

The silks glide through the linen so much easier than cotton.  I think I am hooked in spite of the cost. 

I have also been busy quilting and sewing bags on my beautiful Bernina, but I will save these for another post. 

Ms Divers x


No comments:

Post a Comment