Hens and Chickens

Hens and Chickens

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

It's snowing outside but sunny inside!

I am having the most wonderful time in the snow - indoors stitching, what else?!  Whilst the temperature plummets outside, I am all cosy in my little snug, stitching away, and loving every minute.  I think I spend more time just looking at my sampler than actually stitching.  The photo below doesn't do it justice, but you can see that I am now nearing completion of Sampler One. 

My Blue Ribbon Sampler by Olwyn Horwood.

I'm not the fastest of stitchers, usually because I have one eye on my work and another somewhere else, but I do find it so rewarding to be able to see what I have achieved day by day, week by week.  Much more rewarding than just sitting watching the TV. 

I am slowly making the conversion to silks, and have just ordered Moira Blackburn's Time and Season chart, which is a sampler I have wanted to do for so long.  I will be kitting her up in AVAS as soon as she arrives, but I'm afraid she will have to go into the queue, after Dorcas Haynes, and wait to be stitched a little longer.

Disaster struck here at the beginning of the week when we discovered that a very determined Mr Fox had managed to get into the hen house and dispatch all our poultry, cockerel included, bar one.  The remaining hen seems very traumatised, so we are giving her lots of TLC and as soon as the weather brightens, we will try to find some more ex-battery hens to keep her company.  We were so sad about our cockerel, as although he was a huge Cuckoo Maran, he was the ultimate gentleman, around both his girls and us.  RIP Rocky, we shall miss you.

Ms Divers x

6 comments:

  1. Blu Ribbon Sampler is looking amazing!

    I am so sorry about your loss of the cockerel.
    We recently lost two of our hens to hawks. Last Saturday we got a little Buff Orpington cockeral about 8 weeks old. We were hoping he would warn the flock. Now I'm not so sure.
    This little guy has such a sweet personality, I don't know if he will be mean enough!
    It's such a sad thing to lose a chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thinking of having a trio of bantams in the Spring, I really miss my chickens.

      Delete
  2. BRS is looking amazing and you are making great progress. So sorry about your poultry, we now longer keep chickens because of the foxes here and I miss having fresh eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eggs are wonderful, the yolks are so yellow, I can't face eating supermarket eggs now!

      Delete
  3. Love your progress on BRS I have just won the giveaway for the book on Nicola's blog I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy stitching it, my photos don't do it justice, it is really beautiful.

      Delete