Hens and Chickens

Hens and Chickens

Friday, 30 November 2012

Blue Ribbon Sampler, Week 1

I am quietly pleased with my progress on my BRS this week.  I have completed a third of the left hand border, working from the amended chart, with no major hiccups.  I did learn though not to stitch when I am tired, because that is when I make silly mistakes.  I had to unpick a flower and a leaf which I had placed incorrectly, but in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't a problem.


Then it was on to the top border, and that is when the headaches began!  The first flower is charted on the amended chart for the top left border.  The rest of the top border is charted on a separate page (page 56) and it soon became clear to me, after placing ten leaves, that four of them were in the wrong place.

This is due to the top border chart not carrying on where it should from the top left border chart.  If you stitched the chart as seen, you would end up with two pink flowers both the same at the beginning of the border, and three light green flower bases in a row, when you should have one light green, then one dark green flower base alternating across the top of the garland, and the same on the bottom of the garland of the top border.

The top border chart doesn't affect the placement of the dark green garland at all.  However, if you follow the chart as seen, some of your leaves will be in the wrong position, as are mine.  The difference in placement and pattern is a very subtle one, so subtle that I can't help but wonder if that is how Olwyn really intended it to be, or if it is a charting error. There is also a stitch missing from the second leaf on the chart.  On the fourth flower on the top border chart there is what appears to be an extra stitch but again, is it or isn't it?  And in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?  

My lesson learnt this week is to carefully study the chart before I start to stitch.  I am lucky I only have to unpick and restitch four leaves.

Ms Divers x




2 comments:

  1. You will find that it is the same all the way through but no matter what the sampler is very beautiful and will be worth it.

    You need to carefully study each panel before you stitch.

    It looks beautiful and I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hate it when that happens. I find I can go along stitching for years without a problem, then for whatever reason, I will have 2 or 3 border pproblems in a row! I guess it is a matter of concentration.
    I know how frustration that can be though!

    ReplyDelete