Hens and Chickens

Hens and Chickens

Friday, 23 November 2012

A Scarlet Letter Challenge

I am tremendously excited and inspired today!  A couple of days ago I found a wonderful blog which inspired me to unpack my Blue Ribbon Sampler and continue with it, in the hope that one day very soon, I will be able to hang the completed work in my home.

That blog was Nicola's Stitching by a Cornish Seashore.  This morning when I went to see if there were any new pictures of her Blue Ribbon Sampler, which she is also stitching, I found a new post, inviting readers to a Scarlet Letter challenge.

To participate, Nicola asks that you start or resume one of the many wonderful Scarlet Letter Samplers, as seen here and available from here in the UK, between now and February 20th 2014, and regularly share starts, progress and finishes on a new blog which is being set up now. 

I have never felt so inspired in my life as when I found Nicola's blog along with all the many photographs of her completed work.  I have spent the last three evenings plodding on with my Blue Ribbon Sampler and I have enjoyed every minute of it.  I am now awaiting my Millenium frame and Necessaire floor stand, both of which I hope will speed up my stitching, as presently I am stitching in a fiddly hoop, which is not at all convenient when working with such a large amount of fabric.

So I have decided that I will (bravely) take up the Scarlet Letter Challenge, not only that, but I am resolved that this will be my first sampler stitched with silks.  I love a challenge so much that I have decided to stitch "Dorcas Haynes".  

Dorcas Haynes Sampler

According to the website, this 1720's reproduction sampler is the most symmetrical, balanced counted thread sampler....and also one of the most satisfying, challenging and beautiful samplers in the world.  I hope I aren't being too ambitious....

Ms Divers x

4 comments:

  1. Hello Ms Divers

    I am so very pleased that you will be joining in my Scarlet Letter Year. It will be such fun, besides the prizes at the end there will be regular surprise prizes along the way too. In January there will be a SL chart giveaway, one of my favourites!!!

    The group blog has been designed by Jo and was finished this evening.

    http://scarletletteryear.blogspot.co.uk/

    You are showing as a no reply blogger so I cannot email you. Please could you send me your email address and Jo will contact you with details of how to post etc.,

    This is all about having some fun and sharing our love and joy of stitching beautuful samplers and making new friends along the way.

    It is not a competition and our samplers will not be judged.

    Please pass on the news of the Challenge to your friends, stitching groups, forums and fellow bloggers. The more participants the more fun for all.

    With much love

    Nicola xxx

    PS This is one of my favourite samplers and I will be stitching her at some point in the year. I am so excited you chose her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your choice of chart to stitch and I love your puss cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this has always been one of my favourite samplers

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful choice--looking forward to seeing your progress

    ReplyDelete